Friday, July 8, 2011

One tear shed for cheese

Dairy in its many forms is an indulgence not allowed me. I've mentioned before that I've been working on improving my health the last four months. Some changes had to be made in my diet. I found out I was lactose (dairy) and gluten (wheat) intolerant. I can have European cheeses and goats milk/cheese. All the antibiotics and crap Americans inject their cows with makes it untouchable for me. Just one more thing this dear country of ours has managed to screw up.

Needless to say this change has come with a fair share of ups and downs but I've really adjusted well to it. I'm experimenting with new recipes and meal ideas all the time and learning some great ways to make up for that loss. I prepare almost all my own food so I know exactly what is in it and if I do eat out I'm very careful to order items that won't make me sick. Many restaurants now have a menu with all allergy information attached. I've even gotten to a point where I pack my own meals and snacks if we are going to a bbq or something, just in case there's nothing I can eat there.

Other than the obvious items like mile, cheese, bread and pasta, you may be suprised what has gluten and/or dairy in it. Most of all the taisty stuff it would seem, to one who must go without. But like I said, I'm adjusting.

So when I think I get to cheat a little I get a bit excited. Our boss ordered pizza for our entire department and I just planned on bringing my lunch that day. A bummer yes, but nothing I couldn't handle. Didn't bother me. I was blown away when my boss informed me he was going to order a gluten free pizza for me and the other unlucky soul in our office. I was glowing! Pizza, really! Granted my side would be sans cheese but it's pizza!

Noon rolled around and those two sweet words, "Pizza's here!" hit my ears and I immediately made a bee line for the lunch room. I seriously was overly excited for this and don't think I was this filled with much christmas morning vibe on Christmas.

I was just to enthusiastic for a silly gluten free, cheese free pizza. My portion, of course, did not come with out cheese as ordered.

Bummer dude.

So, I grabbed my purse and planned to get an over priced salad at Subway. Healthier option anyway, I told myself. Almost proud of my decision I hopped in my car and pulled out of the parking lot. As I turned the corner I noticed my right cheek was damp. A tear, maybe two?

I immediately felt like a complete fool. Am I really shedding a tear over cheese?! I'm no cry baby and I've gone through some pretty rough times and not shed a tear. So what is my deal? I guess I felt sorry for myself. Maybe I felt like that kid in school who couldn't have chocolate and had to watch as all the other students chowed down messy cocoa bunnies during Easter.

I was over my self indulgent boo fest very soon and although a little embarassed at my self I was none the worse for wear. I enjoyed my salad at lunch (wrote a blog about it) and planned my dinner. Tonights menu - homemade gluten free pizza, toppings yet to be determined and goat cheese.

Maybe I'll throw in a bite of chocolate as dessert for my little homeys who can't.

Cheers to the eating challenged! May your meal always have flavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment