Sunday, July 10, 2011

Scented candles and omelets

There are signs we must pay attention to in our daily activities or we could wake up some morning and realize, "Oh my god, I'm old!" So I try and pay close attention to the changes in myself, however small so I can either scrutinize them or be thankful of who I am.

Lately, I'm noticing that I appreciate some rather domestic activities that I'd never really cared about before. For example, I make a mean omelet. It's a challenge and if I make a perfect one it sets the tone for my day. I like to make and not only eat omelets but I like to make them for others. If they are satisfied and smiling, so am I. It is a sense of accomplishment.

Being raised in a farm house in Kansas, we didn't eat out much and mother was always working hard in the kitchen. That is when she wasn't working her full time job outside of the home. I know I didn't appreciate this labor of love and even declined being taught how to cook when she offered. That was a stupid choice on my part but I feel I picked up on some basics and the rest I learned myself. I really enjoy cooking. Never thought I'd say that.

So, with this new love of the culinary arts I wonder, am I turning domestic? Oh horror of horrors! I'm really hoping to put that off until I have children... IF I have children.  I like having a clean, organized home but I also don't want to be a slave to it. I want to be spontaneous and fun and out doing things.

But I'm not out doing. I cleaned the house today and got really excited when I changed the wax out of my Scentsy. It's citrus now! Excited over the smell of citrus? Is this really who I am becoming? Seriously, why am I not out at the beach having fun with my friends, soaking up too much sun?

The truth is I decided before this weekend hit that I just didn't have the money to go anywhere. Gas, food, unexpected expenses, it all adds up. So I made the ADULT decision to stay home. Man it sucks being responsible.

With that said, I have to be thankful for the amazing weekend my fiance and I had last weekend. Kayaking at the lake, hiking around, BBQ on the peaks overlooking the lake fireworks made for a pretty amazing weekend.  This weekend we didn't go out at all. I think the boredom was getting to us as we started watching the complete series of Deadwood.

Maybe I need to rethink this. I hung out with my guy all weekend, watched mind numbing television, stayed up late and didn't get out of bed before noon. That's something someone with no responsibilities would do... sleep until noon. That's just downright lazy.

So maybe there's hope for me yet. Maybe I'm not all grown up and done having fun. If I can have one amazing weekend, followed by a laid back one, sleep until noon and still make a killer omelet before cleaning my house than I'd say I'm pretty well rounded.

Cooking is an accomplishment and sleeping in is a luxury. So I guess I've got it all. Plus, it smells AMAZING in here!

No comments:

Post a Comment